With all the accounts we create on the internet, we may forget our Gmail login details from time to time, and when this happens, we get locked out of our own account. The good news is you don’t have to create a new account. In most cases, you can get your account back, thanks to the Gmail account recovery functionality Google provides for all its users.
To read: Setting up your account with IMAP.
How to recover a Gmail password?
When you created your Gmail account, you chose an email address, a password and you provide some security information. Your Gmail password is case-sensitive, and you may forget it if you have not signed in to your account recently.
For Gmail account recovery, follow these steps.
- Go to the Gmail account recovery page and enter your email address.
- Enter the last password you used for your Gmail account.
If you can’t remember your password, try the most recent one you can remember.
- If you don’t remember, click on “Try another way”
You will be able to retrieve your account with your phone by verifying your identity with some information.
- You can choose to recover your account by sending a reset code to the phone number you registered for your account.
- Enter your phone number or confirm it
- Or you can try to answer your secret question
Our tips: If you’re trying to remember your security question, watch out for spelling and shortcuts!
- If you are still unable to recover, you can send yourself a reset code to the alternative email address you have registered for your account.
- And verify your code
Google will send a code to your email address or phone number. If you are unable to find the email with the verification code, you may want to go to your junk or trash. For further details, read our guide on how to recover deleted or misplaced emails in Gmail.
Our Tips if your forgot your password
- If you choose to send a code to your email address, add an email address that you can have access to and linked to your account.
- A recovery email address helps you get back in and is where we send you security notifications.
- An alternate email address is one you can use to sign in.
- A contact email address is where you get information about most Google services you use.
To recover your account, you just have to enter a new password for your Gmail account, and confirm it.
For security reasons, be sure to choose a Gmail password with at least eight characters, one number, one lowercase letter, and one uppercase letter.
What if the Gmail account recovery is not working?
If you’re still having trouble signing in, you can follow Google’s tips:
- Answer as many questions, try not to skip the questions. Trying is better than moving to the next question.
- Use a device and a browser (Chrome or Safari) you know well.
- Choose a Wi-Fi network that you are familiar with, for example at home or at work.
If you are asked why you can’t access your account, you should include some background information:
- Received a specific error message.
- Think your account has been compromised
- Changed your password recently and can’t remember it.
How to recover a Google account from a forgotten email address?
In case you are not able to access your Gmail account because you can’t recall your email address or you lost your phone, go to the Gmail account recovery page for forgotten usernames, and follow these steps:
- Type your recovery email address or phone number and click “Next”.
2. Enter your full name and click “Next”.
How to recover a hacked Gmail account?
Another reason why you can’t sign into your Gmail account is that someone else may have used it.
In this case, you would need to reset your password by following our step-by-step guide above.
Once the recovery of your Gmail account has been completed, all you have to do is secure your account to avoid any further misfortune.
Take the following simple steps.
- From your Google account page, go to “Security”.
- In “Recent security events”, click “Review security events”.
- Click “No” for suspicious activities and secure your account by following the instructions displayed on the screen. Click “Yes” if you have done the activity.
While using your Gmail account, someone else may have had access to sensitive information, such as your bank details. Make sure you contact the authorities in your area or your bank even after the recovery of your account.
How to recover a deleted Google account?
The same way the recovery of your Google account is done if you have forgotten your password, Google also allows you to regain access to a recently deleted account. Follow these steps to get it back:
- In the Gmail account recovery page, type your Gmail email address.
- Enter the last password you have used for your account.
Once Gmail recovery has completed, you can access all the Google services again. For further help with your emailing experience, take a look at other tips and tools we, at Cleanfox, provide for better management of your mailbox so as to increase your productivity.
How can I get my working Google Account back?
If you have a business account (Google Work, G Suite or Google App), the only way to reset your password and recover your account is to contact your domain administrator.
Clean your Gmail mailbox
You can use Cleanfox if you want to delete spam and unsubscribe from newsletters in your Gmail inbox.
The application is your ally in swiftly decluttering your inbox, effortlessly freeing you from email overload. With Cleanfox, you can efficiently organize your emails, bringing order to the chaos and saving you precious time. The best part? Cleanfox offers all of these features completely for free.